Friday, September 14, 2007

Beautiful Suzhou



In June 2007, I had the privilege of teaching English in Suzhou to many youngsters who harbour dreams of studying in a local polytechnic here in the littlreddot. They would have known whether they could make it by now, as the results of the entrance test was somewhere in late August. I had little or no problems with the 90 students. In fact, teaching them was generally an easy task because they were self-motivated. Staying in the very comfortable lecturer's lodge made my 3 week-plus stay a very pleasant and memorable one.

During my free time, the organisation i was working with wouldn't disturb me and so i was able to go out to soak in the sights. I made a day-trip to the oldest street in Suzhou - Shangtang Jie. It was certainly a memorable visit as i took the 7-mile street; two way (3.5 km = 1 li). So i walked 7 km in all. My camera clicked non-stop and these are some very nice ones. It is representative of the simple life of the residents in this historic district.

The boys are playing a supremely simple game of throwing a magnetic token. There are 3 rows of magnets, the one nearest the thrower is the least points while the one furthest gives you the most points. Look how they are so into the game.

No PSP in sight, no SEGA in tow, no Pokemon or other 'modern' ask-your-monster-to-fight-for-you type of game. I was mesmerised certainly.

No comments: