Thursday, October 4, 2007

Bain Street Blues



bane (bn)
n.
1. Fatal injury or ruin: "Hath some fond lover tic'd thee to thy
bane?" George Herbert.
2.
a. A cause of harm, ruin, or death: "Obedience,/Bane of all genius,
virtue, freedom, truth,/Makes slaves of men" Percy Bysshe Shelley.
b. A source of persistent annoyance or exasperation: "The spellings
of foreign names are often the bane of busy copy editors" Norm
Goldstein.
3. A deadly poison.


After closing my booth one night at NLB at 9.30pm, i couldn't start my car but thank goodness it wasn't in the middle of the road but at Bain Street, or so I thoght. i had to unload my goods and look for my jumper cable. i had hoped that with the cable, i could stop kind motorists to help me jumpstart my car. Then i discovered that my cable was at home.

That was the start of the long wait. With the attitude of some reporters going on a mission to 'test' Singaporeans' ability to render assistance, i stopped motorists and taxi-drivers coming out of the carpark of NLB.

Many had the reason that they were a: in a rush; b. no jumper cable. c. The taxi-driver said he was 'on call.' d. Some said they wanted to help but had no jumper cable. One kind family man had stopped head to head with my vehicle earlier but i had no cable so he drove off after i thanked him nevertheless.

Okay, then i had to call the 24-hour assistance. The man came about 45 minutes later. One second; one spark and $30 later - i was finally driving off, heading for home to my anxious family.

Start of the "BAINFUL" experience = 9.30pm. End of the "BANEFUL" experience = 12.20am.

Discovering that i could not start my car; shitty
Discovering that i had left my jumper cable at home; $30.
Discovering that Singaporeans are not exactly Samaritans = Priceless.

Enough said...

No comments: