Sunday, September 21, 2008

Inspired by Botero


19 April 1932 ~

Fernando Botero, World renowned Sculptor and artist, visited Singapore from 2004-12-09 until 2005-02-27. I had the privilege to see his signature rotund sculpted pieces all over the Esplanade area. Spent a lot of time there reading the pieces from different angles.

One permanent piece, Bird, is placed at the Singapore River since 1990 and its patron is UOB.
Botero on his practice of sculpture:

'When I deform things I enter a subconscious world rich in folk images. For me rotundity in art is linked to pleasure. Basically it's a matter of rationalizing natural impulses.' (from the OAS Museum).

I am continually inspired by great artists and sculptor like Botero. Below is a Jumping Clay piece inspired by F Botero:





No comments: